Stay one step ahead. Join our email list for the latest news.Subscribe
Washington submitted an application to extend the demonstration on Jan. 20th. The Family Planning Only demonstration provides limited family planning services for individuals in need of contraceptive care to help prevent unintended pregnancies.
Individuals may be eligible for Family Planning Only if they have an annual household income at or below the Medicaid standard, and are uninsured and not eligible for Apple Health coverage, or insured and seeking confidential family planning services. Family Planning Only covers:
- Family planning education and risk reduction counseling
- All FDA-approved birth control methods including pills, patches, rings, shots, intrauterine devices, implants, diaphragms, cervical caps, condoms, spermicides, and emergency contraception
- Education and supplies for natural family planning and abstinence
- Permanent methods, including tubal ligations, hysteroscopic sterilization, and vasectomy
- Limited screening and treatment for sexually transmitted infections
- Screening for cervical cancer and well-woman physical exams
- Office visits directly related to a family planning problem when medically necessary
Family Planning Only does not cover vaccinations, mammograms, and services unrelated to family planning, including follow-up of abnormal pap smears, pregnancy care, and the evaluation and treatment of health problems like diabetes, asthma, or high blood pressure.
Services are available at any eligible Apple Health provider. Condoms and spermicides are available without a prescription at pharmacies. Emergency contraception is available at any eligible Apple Health provider through pharmacists.
Washingtonians can visit Washington Healthplanfinder to see if they are eligible for Apple Health coverage or a subsidized qualified health plan.
Those interested in submitting comments for the demonstration can do so here.