Release: The #Fight4OurHealth Continues over the Recess of Resistance
In Addition to Town Hall Events by Reps. Denham, Knight, and LaMalfa,
Dozens of Events Planned Throughout the State This Week to Keep Pressure on Lawmakers to #ProtectOurCare
SACRAMENTO, CA—This week, consumer and community groups, including Health Access Californian and the #Fight4OurHealth coalition of over 100 organizations throughout our Californians, continue their commitment to protecting the care and coverage of Californians as part of a national “Recess of Resistance.” The coalition has already held over 50 events in the last five months, putting pressure on the 14 California GOP congressional members who have declined to speak out against any health care proposal that would strip coverage from their constituents.
“Since Congressional Republicans keep trying to cut and cap our coverage and care, their California constituents will keep fighting such proposals, and trying to get their Representatives to come out in opposition. Those opposed to the ACA promised not just to repeal but to replace it with something better–and they need to be held to that promise not to leave us in the lurch,” said Anthony Wright, executive director, Health Access California, the statewide health care consumer advocacy coalition. “The organic outpouring of opposition to the awful American Health Care Act has been overwhelming–but the reaction of our Republican Representatives has been underwhelming, which none of them publicly opposed. We need to make sure our California Congressmembers hear a clear message not to cut Medicaid, Medicare, or the ACA again.”
Before Congressmembers head back to Washington D.C. on April 25th, the #Fight4OurHealth coalition and partners are sponsoring a number of events in these Congressional districts, ensuring that constituent voices are heard by their elected representatives. More information on each events is available upon request. Press are invited to attend any of these events.
Monday, April 17:
- Constituents gather to ask direct questions to Congressmembers Jeff Denham and Doug LaMalfa, who are both holding town halls in Denair and Oroville, respectively.
- Coalition of Orange County Community Health Centers kick off their “Jump On the Bus Tour” in Fullerton and La Habra, encouraging local elected leaders to visit community health centers in their district and see health care happening first hand.
Tuesday, April 18:
- Congressman Steve Knight holds a town hall in Simi Valley where many members of the coalition from is district will attend to ask him his stance on health care.
Wednesday, April 19: Health Care Day of Action:
- Mi Familia Vota, Health Access California, and others will host a People’s Town Hall in Congressman Nunes’ district city of Visalia.
- Modesto residents in Jeff Denham’s district will protest outside a $50/head event with the Congressman asking him to speak to his Modesto constituents directly, and not for a fee.
- Constituents of Rep. LaMalfa will ask questions at the Congressman’s town hall in Redding.
- Community groups including SEIU and others will be outside of Rep. Knight’s district office to build a “Wall of Shame,” with each brick highlighting a budget cut to his constituents, while Trump still continues to fund the building of a border wall.
- Young adults are getting together for a training and phone bank event in Santa Ana.
- The “Jump On The Bus Tour” continues in Newport Beach and Huntington Beach.
Thursday, April 20:
- Mi Familia Vota and others will host “One People, One Fight” town hall in Congressman Denham’s district in Modesto.
- The “Jump On The Bus Tour” continues in Tustin and Lake Forest.
Friday, April 21:
- American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network, the American Heart Association, and the American Lung Association host a town hall on pre-existing conditions in Brea, in Rep. Royce’s distrct.
- The “Jump On The Bus Tour” concludes in Santa Ana and Orange.
Saturday, April 22:
- California Partnership and others hold an “empty chair town hall” in Sun City in Rep. Calvert’s district.
- Together We Will, Planned Parenthood, ACLU, and others hold an “empty chair town hall” in Rep. Knight’s district city of Simi Valley.
- Health care advocates join the March for Science around the state.
- SEIU and others hold a “resistance walk” in Hanford, Orange, Oceanside, and San Fernando.
Monday, April 24:
- Local groups including California Partnership will lead a group on a drop-in legislative visit and rally at Congressman Paul Cook’s district office.